Senior Photos Book a Session Kind Words The Artist Image Map

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Good Samaritans




I just wanted to post this. Recently I was driving alone late at night in a thunderstorm. It was late and very dark and raining and I was between Haskell Texas and Stamford. Suddenly I felt my vehicle begin to sway back and forth as if a big wind was whipping my van around the road and then i realized I had had a blow out. I pulled over on the side of the road in the pitch black and thought about how on earth was I going to change a tire on my big van by myself. Id seen it done twice before, but never had done it myself. (You see, the spare tire is stored up underneat the van and its sort of complicated to lower it down with a special tool, etc.)

I sat there and waited with my hazard lights blinking. Several cars passed me in the next 10 minutes or so and no one stopped.
I thought, This is Texas, the Friendly state. Why doesnt anyone stop to help a woman alone on a dark country road?
I decided they might stop if I pop my hood. By this time it had stopped raining (Thank you God), but it was very wet outside. Still no cars stopped.
So i decided that I needed to call 911. I didnt want to worry my husband because I was about 130 miles away from home anyway. I was hoping a good samatarian would stop and help me. But it was already almost midnight and cold and dark.
The operator said she would send a police officer to help me. but it might be a while.

I said a prayer and waited for a few minutes.

Then I decided to go ahead and get out and start jacking up my van so that when the officer arrived, he wouldnt have to do as much work.


Then a car passed hit thier brakes and circled around. A man asked me if I needed help. I said to myself "Thank you God, for sending angels to help me!"
Then within a few minutes another man stopped to help and Then the policeman arrived. I had 3 strong men helping me.


The first mans wife waved me over to her car to talk to me. I told her about how I was so grateful they stopped and I had been worried because no one would stop for me, but then I said a prayer and they showed up just a minute after my prayer.


She explained to me that she had been in Abilene for 3 days with her mother in the hospital and that they were almost home and decided to help me. She told me about how worried she was about her mothers health. I immediately felt empathy for her and could tell she had been through a rough few days.


We chatted for a while and I told her I was sorry about her mother. I quoted some scripture that I thought would give her some comfort and thanked her as her husband and other 2 men finished changing my tire. ( I hear dmuch Grunting and sounds coming from them, it was not an easy task! There would of been no way I could of done it by myself!)


I thanked the Pastor (Who told me he was Pastor Echols of the Methodist Church of Haskell) and the Policeman (im sorry I forgot his first name, Eric I think?) .


The woman told me something that touched me and gave me goose bumps all over!

She said "When we saw you, we were a little afraid to stop and help you, but once I got to talking to you, I saw that you were a nice person. You say that you thought we were angels to stop and help you, but to be honest, You were the Angel to us!" I asked her why? "She said that the kind words I gave her and the scripture i had quoted had given her peace". I got tears in my eyes.


I thanked her and shook her husbands big strong hand and drove off into the night. I arrived at my destination a couple hours later safe and sound. And with grattitude in my heart, that there are good people out there in this world.


Thank you Lupe, Pastor Echols and Mr. Policeman from Haskell County!
You gave me hope that there are still good people out there (and that God does answer prayers!)


Pin It!

No comments: